Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Cinnamon Roll Cake Gluten Free

My little baby girl is sick today, y'all, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet... just like me ;)



{image via cookin' up north}


This is the recipe for the delicious cinnamon roll cake I made for breakfast on Christmas morning.  I adapted it to be gluten free of course and made a couple of other small tweaks, but the amazing original recipe is from here.


Cake recipes like this are really ideal for converting to gluten free.  I love regular cinnamon rolls, but yeast doughs just don't get the proper rise without gluten.  This cake also has the distinct advantage of being ready from start to finish in about an hour!


I recently had a reader email me asking for some tips about feeding her toddler who is about to start a gluten free diet.  I am, of course, going to email her personally, but her questions made me wonder if I should do a little series with tips on feeding kids with gluten and other food intolerances.  Let me know if you have any interest or any specific questions!


Here's my version!


Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Cake
*One cake easily fed our very hungry group of 7 with a piece left over

Ingredients
Cake:
3 cups all purpose gluten free flour (if you don't have an AP flour you like, I recommend trying Better Batter.  Otherwise, substitute 2 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch)
1 tsp xantham gum (omit if using an AP that already has it, such as Better Batter)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted

Topping:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour (more of your AP or you could also just use brown rice flour)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Icing:
2 c. powdered sugar
1 8 oz package of cream cheese (heated in the microwave for about 20 seconds to melt slightly)
5 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt

Directions 

Mix everything together except for the butter. Slowly stir in the melted butter and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 for 28-32 minutes.

Beat the melted cream cheese, powdered sugar together in a bowl.  In a small ramekin, combine the milk, vanilla and salt.  Mix until salt is dissolved.  Add the milk mixture to the cream cheese mixture and beat until combined.  Spread over cake out of the oven.  You should have some extra, which I like to offer on the side for those who like even more decadence!  This is awesome enjoyed warm out of the oven but pretty delicious room temp too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...