Thursday, November 29, 2012

Update and a Recipe

Well, there's nothing like parenthood to humble you just a bit.  I read a pretty hilarious quote the other day, and it really resonated with me: "My child is standing in the way of me being the parent I always dreamed I would be."

I love my son to death, but he challenges me in ways I never knew I could or would be challenged.  Let's be honest, I was probably a bit naive, but I just assumed that if I did all the "right" things, then he would basically turn out a certain way.  I'm certainly not downplaying my importance, or the important role of parents in general, but I think maybe parents (read ME) would be a lot less stressed if they accepted that there are so many things you can't control.

For example, I was always told that if I ate a varied diet while pregnant and breasted that my son would have a natural taste for lots of varied foods, including vegetables, which I love!  Sounds great right?  I was also led to believe that if I made my son healthy baby food, held back grains, did baby led weaning, etc. that he would naturally learn to explore and love a variety of foods.  But, Phillip had his own special plan. 

Needless to say, my tough love two days just did not work.  He basically didn't eat at all.  And it made us both incredibly stressed.  One thing I have learned about parenting (at least when it comes to me as that parent!), is that if something doesn't feel natural to me, it can be the best idea in the world, but it just won't work.

So, at least for now, until he's capable of a bit more reasoning, I'm going back to my old methods of feeding him.  I homemake 90% of what he eats and try to make the healthiest options I can out of what he will eat, throwing in some rejected and new foods a few times a week.

And, we're back to baking together :)  This is a recipe from the kid's cooking site "Weelicious."  I have her cookbook and have had success with many of her recipes.  This is just one example of the types of recipes that I convert to gluten free and make for Phillip for breakfast.

  Oatmeal On the Go Bars
From Weelicious with a few changes!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups old fashioned oats (Bob's Redmill Gluten Free Oats)
  • 1 cup gluten free flour (I use Better Batter, which is a rice, potato, tapioca blend with the xantham gum mixed in - highly recommend!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cup milk (any kind of milk — rice, almond, soy, cow’s — will work)
  • 3 tablespoons agave
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, blueberries, and/or cherries)
  • 1/2 cup nuts (walnuts, sunflower seeds, and/or pepitas)
  • 1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. Mix the milk, applesauce, egg, agave, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
  4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, stir to combine and then stir in the dried fruits, nuts, and chocolate chips.
  5. Pour the oatmeal mixture into a buttered or greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes or until thickened and golden.
  7. Cool, cut into squares and serve.
*Allow to cool, cut into squares and place in a ziploc bag to freeze up to 4 months. When ready, allow to defrost in fridge for 24-48 hours.
*Refrigerating the bars will make them last up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...